On September 5, 2017, President Trump announced that he would rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in six months. This was devastating news for many members of the UC Berkeley community as DACA has protected many young undocumented immigrants from deportation and helped them fund access to education. Approximately 800,000 young people have received protection through DACA and more than 200,000 people with DACA status live in California.
As the community continues to process this development and shape next steps for legal rights, community organizing, and safety and support, we’re sharing a preliminary list of upcoming events on topics related to immigration justice, as well as commentary and resources.
UC Berkeley has resources available including counseling services and immigration legal support. Please visit the Undocumented Student Program for more information.
Upcoming events focusing on immigration justice.
- Wed, Sep 13th, 7pm – 9pm:
Immigration Crisis: The Collapse of the Post-Colonial State, Hatem Bazian, Zaytuna College Lecture Series
- Wed, Sep 20th, 7pm – 9pm:
Resisting the Muslim Ban, Zahra Billoo, CAIR, Zaytuna College Lecture Series
- Thur, Oct 12th, 5pm – 7pm:
Diary of a Reluctant Dreamer: Undocumented Vignettes from a Pre-American Life, book talk with author and graphic artist, Alberto Ledesma, and commentary by Paola Bacchetta and Juan Prieto, hosted by CRG Thursday Forum Series and the Multicultural Community Center
- Tue, Oct 17th, 5:30pm – 8pm:
Who Will Speak for the Migrant? Migrant Struggle in the Age of Illegality, CRG Distinguished Guest Lecture by Alicia Schmidt Camacho, Yale University
- Thur, Oct 19th, 4pm – 6pm
Deconstructing the “Refugee Crisis”: Race, Representation, & Recognition, Ilaria Giglioli, Seth Holmes, Kate Jastram, CRG Thursday Forum
- [tentative] Thur, Oct 26th, 4pm – 6pm:
Black Poet Migrants Respond, CRG Arts & Humanities Initiative
- Mon, Oct 30th, 12:45pm – 2pm:
The Emotional Habitus of the Undocumented Immigrants’ Movement, Kathryn Abrams, CSLS Speaker Series
- Mon, Nov 27th, 12:45pm – 2pm:
Latino Mass Mobilization: Immigration, Racialization, and Activism, Chris Zepeda-Millán, CSLS Speaker Series
RESOURCES & COMMENTARY:
Messages & open letters, poetry and art, commentary & analysis
- The Mission Asset Fund will provide $500,000 in grants to cover the cost of renewing DACA applications to students in the UC, Cal State, and community college systems.
- UC Berkeley: We Stand With Our Undocumented Students, Chancellor Carol Christ, Vice Chancellor for Equity & Inclusion Oscar Dubón, and Undocumented Student Program Director Meng So
- University of California System-Wide Faculty Statement Against the Suspension of DACA
- UC sues Trump administration over repeal of DACA
- What Do I Need to Know about the End of DACA?, Community Advisory from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- Amerika: Amnesty for a Convicted Felon, 800,000 Young People Summarily Condemned, by Alberto Ledesma, author of Diary of a Reluctant Dreamer: Undocumented Vignettes from a Pre-American Life and Diversity Director for the Arts & Humanities at UC Berkeley
- Why Berkeley’s Battle Against White Supremacy Is Not About Free Speech, by Meleiza Figueroa, UC Berkeley and David Palumbo-Liu, Stanford University
- It Was All A Dream: Writings by Undocumented Youth at UC Berkeley (2014), anthology includes essays, poetry, visualart, and findings from a research report on the campus climate for undocumented students
- Working Together to Improve Campus Climate for Undocumented AB540 Students at UC Berkeley (2013)
- Open Letter from Alan Pelaez Lopez, Ethnic Studies & CRG Arts & Humanities Initiative
- A Poem so that the Weight of this Country does not Crush You, Yosimar Reyes