The Center for Race and Gender hosts a series of Thursday Afternoon Forums featuring presentations from faculty, fellows, and students on emerging research on race, gender, and their intersections. Forum presentations represent a broad landscape of ideas, topics, and disciplinary approaches, and are great opportunities to engage in discussions about new research or share scholarly work for community feedback.
Forums take place every other Thursday at 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm in the CRG Conference Room in 691 Barrows Hall, unless otherwise noted. Forums are open to the public and the location is wheelchair accessible. Light (but tasty) refreshments are served.
- Feb 7: Media & Political Africa: Revolutionary Street Art & Digital Nationalism
Prof. Ebony Coletu, American University in Cairo; Reginold Royston, African American Studies
- Feb 21: Racializing Optics: Whiteness, Neoliberalism, and Visual Cultures
Prof. Keith Feldman, Ethnic Studies; Prof. Leigh Raiford, African American Studies; Dr. Michael Cohen, American Studies & African American Studies
- Mar 7: Gendered Colonialism & the Battlegrounds of Land and Kin
Dr. Mattie Harper, University of California, Santa Cruz; Prof. Christopher Loperena, University of San Francisco
- Mar 21: Revising Freedom: Law, Literature, & the Racial Imaginary
A.B. Wilkinson, History; Michael McGee, African American Studies
- Apr 4: Queer Tensions, Racialized Erotics, & Hostile Territories
Prof. Amy Sueyoshi, San Francisco State University; Prof. Darieck Scott, African American Studies (This panel will be held 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm.)
- Apr 18: Geographies of Violence & Resistance: A Spotlight on Undergraduate Student Research
Salvador Gutiérrez Peraza, History; Rebecca Peters, Society & Environment; Mai Nhia Vang, Social Welfare; Andrew Levine-Murray, Sociology; Noor Al-Samarrai, Political Economy
- May 2: Embodied Epistemologies: Performing Spirituality, Queering Latinidad
Prof. Pedro Javier di Pietro, Ethnic Studies; Elisa Diana Huerta, UC Santa Cruz; UC Berkeley Multicultural Community Center
FALL 2013 Thursday Forum Proposal Deadline:
THURSDAY, APRIL 25 2013
If you are interested in presenting as an individual or as part of a panel, or if you have suggestions for topics and presenters, please download the appropriate application below, e-mail your application by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: CRG Forum – (Your Name).
|Thursday Forum - INDIVIDUAL Application Form.docx||27.3 KB|
|Thursday Forum - PANEL Application Form.docx||35.1 KB|