The Center for Race and Gender hosts a series of Thursday Afternoon Forums featuring presentations from faculty, fellows, and students on emerging research on race, gender, and their intersections. Forum presentations represent a broad landscape of ideas, topics, and disciplinary approaches, and are great opportunities to engage in discussions about new research or share scholarly work for community feedback.
Forums take place every other Thursday at 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm in the CRG Conference Room in 691 Barrows Hall, unless otherwise noted. Forums are open to the public and the location is wheelchair accessible. Light (but tasty) refreshments are served.
Proposals welcome for the Spring 2014 series, more details below!
CRG Thursday Forum Series, Fall 2013:
- Sep 12th: Genocide, Memory, and Testimony: Challenges in Guatemala and Commemorations in Chile
Prof. Beatriz Manz, Ethnic Studies, Chicano/Latino Studies; Prof. Evelyn Nakano Glenn, Ethnic Studies & Gender & Women's Studies
- Sep 26th: Hearing and Queering Convergence Across Sound and Text
Wanda Alarcón, Ethnic Studies; Prof. Tamara Roberts, Music
- Oct 10th: Catalyzing Race Revolution: The Black Panthers and Quixote's Soldiers
Prof. Waldo Martin, History; Prof. David Montejano, Ethnic Studies
- Oct 24th: Performing Justice: Guatemalan Women Reconfiguring Resistance through Activism and Performance
Carolyn Vera, Ethnic Studies, Chican@ Studies; Zully Juarez, Gender and Women’s Studies, Ethnic Studies
- Nov 14th: Race and Social Movements: What Reproductive Justice Teaches Us
Dr. Sujatha Jesudason, CoreAlign, UC San Francisco; Dr. Zakiya Luna, Center on Reproductive Rights and Justice
- Nov 21st: Remixing Black Pasts and Futures: Representation & Belonging
Kimberly McNair, African American Studies; Whitney Pennington, video journalist, UC Berkeley alumna
- Dec 5th: Bodies of Difference and Desire
Jasminder Kaur, African American Studies; Ianna Hawkins Owen, African Diaspora Studies
SPRING 2014 Thursday Forum Proposal Deadline:
MONDAY, DEC 2 2013
If you are interested in presenting as an individual or as part of a panel, or if you have suggestions for topics and presenters, please download the appropriate application below, e-mail your application by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: CRG Forum – (Your Name).